Even if you’ve seen thousands of photos it’s nothing like seeing it in real life, the ultimate blue lagoon experience is a must. From the changing shades of the sky to every color of the rainbow as the suns visible light rays scatter all around the milky lagoon. This dreamy gem is worth visiting anytime of the day for a truly relaxing experience.
WHY IS IT BLUE?
The geothermal water has a unique composition, featuring three active ingredients – Silica, Algae & Minerals. The blue color comes from the silica and the way it reflects sunlight. During summer there can also be a hint of green in the water. This is the result of the algae, which multiplies quickly when exposed to direct sunlight. Although, this might come as a surprise to you, the water is actually white if you pour it into a transparent cup, it will always have a milky white color. The sun simply makes it look blue!
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW.
- Pre-booking is required to ensure your spot. Make your reservations a couple weeks early to get the desired time slot.
- Avoid the hectic crowds by booking the first morning time slot or booking 2 hours before they close to enjoy an amazing sunset.
- The country’s most iconic destination isn’t cheap. Tickets to the geothermal spa range from a $65 – standard package to a $530 luxury package.
- You need to shower before entering the communal pool. There are private showers in the locker rooms.
- Silica is not harmful to your hair, but it’s difficult to remove and can make your hair stiff. Apply conditioner provided complimentary in the showers, leave it in before entering and wash your hair afterwards.
- Remove your jewelry as it can get damaged by active ingredients in the water.
- Bring your own towel and slippers to save on cost.
- Bring a waterproof case for your phone.
EXPLORE AND SOAK IN THE ATMOSPHERE.
The Blue Lagoon spa offers a number of relaxing and refreshing amenities once you’ve entered you can stay as long as you want.
- You can order a massage which is outstanding, you float on a mattress in the water and the massage therapists use all the products made from the minerals in the water.
- There is a sauna and a steam cave made from lava rocks.
- There is a powerful waterfall which you can go under. Just remember it’s the same water as in the lagoon so it may ruin your hair.
- There is a relaxing area you can use. Take a break from the warm lagoon and get a drink from the indoor bar and sit in the super comfy chair above the indoor bar.
- Eat. Depending on your mood and budget there are two cafes inside the building as well as the Lava Restaurant.
- Take a tour. There are special guides that you can book a tour with that tell you and show you everything about the lagoon.
- Get your picture taken, the greeters are super friendly and will take your photos and send them to your email for free.
The geothermal water has many benefits. The soaring temperatures naturally help to improve your skin. The mineral-rich water enhances and protects the skin in many ways. It’s completely hypoallergenic and has anti-aging properties that can firm the skin, reduce pores and revitalize appearances. It is also effective against rashes, sores and skin problems such as dermatitis and psoriasis.
Make sure you swim up to the mud mask bar and take advantage of the free silica mud mask. Keep the mask on for 10 minutes and then wash it off in the lagoon.
OTHER FACTS ABOUT THE BLUE LAGOON
- The Blue Lagoon is open year round.
- Visit regardless of the season and weather. The weather changes dramatically throughout the day.
- The lava field surrounding the Blue Lagoon is about 800 years old.
- It is only 20 minutes from Keflavík International Airport and 45 minutes from Reykjavík.
- The water is self-cleansing – it renews itself every 40 hours.
- The water from the Blue Lagoon is a direct result of the geothermal plant found right next door.